Question: Will I be in contempt if I use the money owed to my ex to pay off a debt he agreed to?


Yes, you can be held in contempt for not following Court Orders. Generally, the Court does not like to see individuals engage in “self help.” You should file a Motion to enforce the Court Order in the ways in which your ex is failing to follow the Court Order, and request the alternative remedy that you are suggesting. Ask the Court to allow you to make this adjustment, or come to an agreement in writing with your ex related to this modification and get a Court Order Ratifying this.

Erin E. Morse Esq.