Unmarried Fathers’ Rights

Today marriage is not thought of the same way as it was back in the day. Many couples choose to have children without tying the knot first. This personal choice is all and well till the relationship goes awry. It is more so for fathers.

In the case of a child born inside marriage, the mother’s husband is automatically given rights. But when marriage is not part of the picture, complications arise if a separation ever comes into play. While the romantic relationship between the parents remains as it is even outside marriage, child custody is not an issue. But if the union starts to fall apart, problems begin to arise.

First of all, having the father’s name on the birth certificate of the child does not automatically give him rights. This means that in Florida, the mother can get sole custody if the parents decide to part ways. That can result in many fathers losing contact with their children. But there are ways that you can protect your rights as the child’s father if it ever comes to that.

First, make sure that your name is there on the child’s birth certificate. And also, make sure that you and the mother both sign an affidavit acknowledging your paternity. This can help you go a long way. Make sure that you play an active role in your child’s upbringing. These are but only a few of the steps to be taken. Contact your Orlando Child Custody Attorney to find out what more can be done and needs to be done.

When it comes to defending yours and your child’s rights, you need an experienced Child Custody Attorney. We at Erin Morse Law Firm make sure you get the best legal counsel in town. We work our best to protect yours and your child’s rights during these difficult times. Contact us and make an appointment for further details.