Question: Can I change my children’s last names to be hyphenated during divorce?


You could ask for this relief in the Divorce. It would be the Court who would make a best interest analysis if this is in the best interest of the minor children. It happens frequently in Paternity cases if the child does not have the Father’s last name the Court will change the child’s name to the Father’s name. While, I have never heard of the Court changing the children’s name during divorce to the Wife’s maiden name.

Attorney Erin E. Morse